No. 11 | Wellness
No. 11 | Wellness
Crispy, Spicy Meatballs
After scouring the internet for a recipe that would put me in a Fall mood, I came across this one for crispy sheet-pan meatballs with salsa verde from Bon Appetit. It was simple to make with not too many ingredients, and was the perfect mix of cozy (the meatballs), fresh (the salsa verde), and spicy (I added cayenne pepper to give the dish a kick).
2 garlic cloves
2 cups packed mixed herbs (I used parsley and cilantro)
3 tbsp drained capers
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
3 tbsp + ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 lb ground beef
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Grate 1 clove of garlic into a medium bowl; grate the other clove of garlic into a smaller bowl.
- Finely chop your two cups of mixed herbs; transfer half of the chopped herbs to the medium bowl, and the remaining herbs to the smaller bowl.
- Finely chop your three tablespoons of capers; transfer two tablespoons to the medium bowl, and the remaining capers to the small bowl.
- Add your chopped walnuts to the medium bowl.
- Whisk in the egg, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and one tablespoon of olive oil to the medium bowl.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs into the egg mixture, then add the ground beef and use your hands to gently incorporate, but be careful not to overmix!
- On an olive oil-drizzled baking sheet, arrange golf ball-sized meatballs at least one inch apart.
- Bake the meatballs for about 10 minutes, shaking the baking sheet about half way through; the meatballs should be crispy on all sides.
- While the meatballs are cooking, finish your salsa verde: grate lemon zest into the small bowl with the herbs, garlic, and capers; add the juice from half of the lemon.
- Add the remaining half cup of olive oil and stir to combine.
- Season the salsa verde with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve your meatballs on a platter with the salsa verde on the side, or drizzled on top (or both!).